Have you wanted to start a garden, but you’re not sure what plants to start with? With the right growing foundation, anyone can have success with these 5 easy to grow superfoods! If you are new to gardening, you can easily grow these 5 SUPERFOODS with harvests from Spring to Fall and the Winter Squash will keep for several months after harvest in the perfect conditions. Leafy greens are easy to grow and a powerhouse superfood full of antioxidants, vitamins and fiber.
- Spinach: This is a cool weather plant and one of the first to add to the garden. High in Potassium, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin A and a great source for iron.
- Kale: This green powerhouse superfood is easy to grow and is a great cool weather option extending through the Summer and Fall. Kale is high in Potassium, Vitamin A, C and B-6 and a great leafy green source of protein.
- Swiss Chard: A great source for magnesium, Vitamin A and C. Beautiful color and so easy to grow.
- Winter Squash: This one requires a bit more space, but worth growing due to the lasting storage. High in fiber, potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and B-6. Butternut, Acorn or Spaghetti Squash are the easiest to grow and bumper crops will keep giving back over the winter months.
- Romain Lettuce: Seasonal superstar for spring and fall crops, high in Vitamin K, A and Folate
If you aren’t into growing these 5 easy to grow superfoods, definitely find a local organic source, like a local farmer’s market to add these to your diet for nutrition and to meet the daily requirements of fruits and veggies servings.
See you in the garden,